A Short Flash about Clams A Short Flash about Clams

Wow

It was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen something so epic achieved in a mere flash movie haha.
I LOVE it.

WH40K Collab WH40K Collab

hmMMMMMMMMmmmmm

There were a couple good ones.
The thing is the sense of humor kind of bothers me.
The 40k universe is so badass, that it doesn't seem apt to lampoon it with such... SILLY jokes.

What I really would have preferred is a more faithful and serious tone.
That's not to say there shouldn't be HUMOR, but humor in the context of 40k would've been a lot better than pop culture references and just completely random references to completely random aspects of the universe.

I think if you wanted to make a collab that 40k fans would love, it should focus on what makes 40k so great and capitalize on that. Namely the dark, gothic, brutal tone. When you stretch the humor out to be so goofy, it just seems shallow and not a good representation of the universe.
So, when I'm watching it I'm just like... ugh... I think this is making me like 40k less.

Of course I wouldn't expect a collab on newgrounds to have fantastic humor, but in an ideal world... Just saying what I would like to see out of a 40k collab.

I guess the thesis of what I'm trying to say is, I think this would be a lot more enjoyable (especially to 40k fans), if the universe were treated with a little more reverence, and the humor and tone didn't stray too far from the canon. The type of self aware, pop culture humor in this movie totally demolishes the third wall, and it's just annoying to see beloved characters act like clowns.

When considering what kinds of things I would like to see in the 40 Universe, the last thing on my list would be Looney Toons, top 40 songs, etc.

The Johnny Utah clone (the blood raven and the eldar) at least wasn't an affront to my tastes, because it took place completely in the Warhammer Universe. It didn't break the third wall, and it didn't turn the characters into Goof Troop. All it did was exaggerate the personalities that we already know these characters to have, which is good way to make fun of the universe without ruining it.

Anyway, the collab wasn't bad by any means. It's par for the course for NG collabs, which is kind of the problem. This might as well be a pokemon collab or a smash brothers collab, just replace the characters, and change the subject to suit your needs (I kissed a Snorlax and I liked it).
Most of the jokes in this are interchangeable with any collab on any subject.

Anyway... I love the 40k universe and the idea of a collab about it really gets my pants tight. So, that's why I feel the need to go on about it. :)

Disregarding all that, there was some really nice art and some funny (if not very apropos) shorts, so GOOD JOB.

3rd Grade Transformers 3rd Grade Transformers

HIlarious

Very funny, clever concept, great animation, rock on.

Waiting for the Bus! Waiting for the Bus!

Awesome

It was just really fantastic storytelling.
Impressive animation too!

40k Collab Trailer 40k Collab Trailer

A 40k collab?!

Next time invite me, I've been looking for an excuse to animate some 40k action. :P

Looking forward to it!

A Norse in the 9th Ward A Norse in the 9th Ward

Indeed!

That is humorous.

Transmorphation Transmorphation

Nice

That's looks difficult to animate!
It's very ambitious.. .You could do some really good stuff if you bother to clean it up, add sound, etc. :)

My Robotic Inspiration My Robotic Inspiration

awesome!

Great work!
i loved the new stuff at the end.
The way all the machinery syncs up with the music is really nice.

Awesome Cracks Down Awesome Cracks Down

Wow

The animation itself was faaaaaaantastic!
You've gotten quite good at it.

Also pretty funny.

Brawl Funnies [dick 3] Brawl Funnies [dick 3]

Doh, I already regret posting this. :0

Quality submissions make it to the front page next to the stuff you consider trash. Tom always put's good original content on the front page, and if he misses something you can tell him about it in a PM.
So what is the problem? That people like something you don't?
That the front page reflects the tastes of the entire NG viewership instead of just your own? Are you trying to convince people that they're wrong for liking certain movies, by mocking said movies (i'm no psychologist but that seems like an ineffective method)?

Just make good movies... They will be on the front page. The people that care about those types of movies will watch. The people that would rather watch Brawl Taunts will watch Brawl Taunts.
The success of Brawl Taunts and Egoraptors movies don't affect the success of other more "original" content... Well, except that they bring more viewers to NG, some of whom spill over into watching your fine original content. So essentially you should be THANKING them for bringing you viewership, while you still get to retain your integrity. And you should be happy NG puts your stuff on the front page just for the sake of animation, even though it won't bring in as many viewers as "MarioBall Z: Over 9000".

So... I feel you should all unwad your panties and go about your business.
Adam Philips didn't become successful by mocking everyone else's stuff. He did it by making awesome content.
It was really a genius plan (making awesome content).

dreftclub responds:

A few months ago ashford pride made a movie with a foreboding title. It was called "Awesome Grounds".

Well ladies and gentlemen, that's might as well what this site should be called (at least right now), with the top row on the front page slot dedicated to an "awesome" movie and an "awesome" parody, an "awesome" t-shirt in the newgrounds store, and pretty much every "awesome" movie in the top 100, along with han's "awesome's creed".

I can't go to newgrounds with seeing something not about egoraptor or his coveted video game parody series. It makes me wonder sometimes if pursuing anything but half-assed cartoons making mildly funny observations about video games laced with profanity is even worth it. Truly, they are what bring the masses of 13-year olds to this site, and thus increases traffic and competition in the internet world. But you have to ask yourself, with this sort of two-bit audience increasing in numbers, are they really interested in watching anything else?

I understand that it's a dog eat dog world in the online entertainment business, and to compete you have to pretty much put up content that a majority of internet browsers would click on. This includes either women or video games. Things they already know they want. And that's all they want. They sign up, watch more, and come back and do it again later. They're trained to know that what they want is easily accessible and is promoted all over the site.

Original content is often shuffled off to the bottom of the page, or never gets any attention to begin with. Now comes into play the whole 'they won't click on it unless there's a boob for the icon', etc etc. That's because they've been fashioned to think that way.

I'm not saying i have all the mysterious answers to the way people's minds work. But this much is true - if all people click on are breasts and video game icons, and you give them breasts and video game icons, you're not pushing the envelope.

Newgrounds is the epitome of user-generated content. We already have a massive advantage over youtube in the fact that making a cartoon involves so much more creativity than snappily editing your webcam footage. So instead of 200 cartoons coming out every minute, we have 200 cartoons coming out every day. That gives someone a better chance of breaking out and being discovered for his hard work, and a reward for a job well done.

But in the same way that viewers are trained that they don't have to go out of their way to avoid original content they would otherwise enjoy, authors are becoming more and more disenchanted with their personal creations and are turning to nerd culture icons and cheap tactics to get viewers.

I can't tell you how many animators I have spoken to that have shunned their own creations in favor of sub-pop culture parody and disjointed scripts sprinkled with toilet humor and profanity. a cartoon catering to everyone who's forgotten what cartoons are all about. And here we are shoving away everything about cartoons that was originally appealing and magical, because we're pretty much forced to.

I'm not pointing the finger at any one person here. I think it's part of the bigger picture - bigger than Newgrounds, too. But if people really care about the future of cartoons and animation, we wouldn't be seeing this kind of blatant favoritism.

People will find what they want if they want it. They don't need to be spoon fed it all.

For thirty years animators who strive to create something genuinely unique have gotten nothing but a slap in the face. It's sickening and it has to stop someday, before they all disappear.

Lastly, this post is not about me. I'm not writing this out of self-pity, bitterness or spite. I'm being honest. I care a lot about the future of animation, and what I see around me is very troubling. The industry is bad enough, but where the future lies is in the small corners of the animation world. Newgrounds is one of them. I spend a lot of time trying to encourage and teach frame-by-frame animation, and creating your own characters and scripts. That is what is important